Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
I recently read about how healthy both flaxseed and blueberries are, so thought I'd try to come up with a tasty way to use them together. These muffins are not too sweet or tart- a great way to start the day!
- 3⁄4 cup white flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole grain graham flour
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds (also called flax meal)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries (I had some fresh and some frozen, but not enough of either to use them exclusively, so I combined th)
- 3⁄8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 pinches sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Add all wet ingredients.
- Batter will be quite thick- DO NOT ADD EXTRA LIQUID!
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Just before baking, sprinkle pinches of sugar on top of muffins.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, rotate pan so the muffins cook evenly, bake for 8-10 minutes more until the top springs back when touched gently.
- Let cool completely in pan on wire rack before removing from pan.
Although I hate to rate recipes this low, we just did not like the outcome of this muffin. It came out dry and the lack of sugar in it was way to noticable. I ended up throwing the batch away because no one in the house would touch them! :(