Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Cooking Light (June 2005).
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup almond paste
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Place 1/2 cup sugar, almond paste, and 2 tablespoons butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Add egg and lemon juice, beating well.
- Add flour mixture and fat-free milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Fold in blueberries and rind.
- Spoon batter into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, tossing with a fork until moist.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
This is a fantastic recipe. I found it on the Cooking Light website and was actually just searching RecipeZaar for more uses for almond paste since I have some left over from this coffee cake.