Recipe by Kim D.
Wonderful blueberry ice cream that can be made from either fresh or frozen blueberries. Great summer-time treat! The recipe comes from a Country Woman Magazine, which I purchased just for this recipe. (Prep-time is estimated cooking time and Cooking-time is freezing and ripening time)
Top Review by jackieliz
This was the BEST ice cream to come from our little ice cream maker yet! It was so creamy and a regal shade of purple. I also left the berry bits in my batch, I also added a small splash of vanilla to the mix. My husband loved it, the whole batch was gone the first day.
- 946.36 ml fresh blueberries or 946.36 ml frozen blueberries
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml water
- 946.36 ml half-and-half cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar and water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until sugar is dissolved and the blueberries are softened.
- Strain mixture and discard seeds and skins.
- Stir in cream.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two thirds full and freeze according to the manufactur's directions.
- Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.
- Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in regular freezer for 2-4 hours before serving.