Top Review by a local
This vinegar will make a heavenly salad dressing and an accent for fall's bounty. A snap to put together, we look forward to tasting and adding the flavor to savory main dishes (after waiting a month). Thanks, Dancer.
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 lb blueberries
- 4 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- fresh chive blossoms
- blueberries, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Strip the basil leaves from their stalks.
- Tear the leaves into small pieces.
- Put the blueberries and a little vinegar into a nonmetallic bowl.
- Crush the berries with the back of a wooden spoon to release their juices.
- Stir in the remaining vinegar, basil, and chopped chives.
- Pour the mixture into a large sterilized jar.
- Seal and shake well.
- Keep in a cool dark place for 4 weeks before using to allow the flavor to develop.
- Shake the jar from time to time.
- Line a funnel with a double layer of fresh cheesecloth.
- Strain the flavored vinegar into sterilized bottles (within 1/8-inch of the tops).
- Add a fresh chive flower and a few blueberries to each bottle to give an attractive garnish.
- Seal and label.
- The vinegar is now ready to use.