Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is a bit lower in sugar, but still quite tasty. It relies more on the sweetness of the berries than sugar. It's good for breakfast, or you can have as dessert with ice cream or whipped cream. Prep time includes simmering time for blueberry sauce.
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (or more to suit your taste)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- lemon zest, approx 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Combine blueberries, sugar, brown sugar, lemon juice, and water in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon zest. Mix well.
- Cut in the butter until it is incorporated throughout and crumbly.
- Stir in milk all at once and stir until just combined.
- Drop dumpling mixture by spoonfuls into simmering blueberry mixture (approximately 6 dumplings).
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes - do not lift the lid during this time!
- Using a large spoon, transfer dumplings to bowls and cover with blueberry sauce.
I always enjoy a lemon & blueberry flavor combo, as I did in this recipe! Also used frozen blueberries this first time, & don't get me wrong, they were just fine, but I really want to make this again when blueberries are at their peak! Loved your grunt & will be making it again, for sure! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of the great Pick A Chef event]