Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
The blackberries on the bottom of the cake remain gooey, much like a pudding cake.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup blue agave syrup or 3⁄4 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup crystallized ginger, finely diced
- 12 ounces frozen blackberries, unthawed
- Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or brush with oil.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, agave and molasses. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg mixture. Using a hand held whisk, begin blending together and add the boiling water as you go. Stir in the lemon zest and the crystallized ginger. Mix until fully incorporated, do not overmix.
- Toss the berries evenly in the prepared pan and pour in the batter. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the center springs back when pressed lightly with your finger.
MMmmm...good! Love gingerbread and love blueberries. What's not to like! Thnx for sharing your recipe, Homecookgirl. Made for PAC Fall 2009.