Love ginger. Love the combination of cornmeal and blueberries. Now I can have all three. This lighter version comes out to 2 points per serving. They are smallish by most standards but perfectly sized for WW folk.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (frozen are slightly better as they don't burst and bleed during baking) or 1 cup fresh blueberries (frozen are slightly better as they don't burst and bleed during baking)
- 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely diced
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Treat 12 muffin tins with a light coating of cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl. Mix to insure a good blend.
- Mix wet ingredients (milk through egg) together in separate bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mix until just blended. Fold berries and ginger into the muffin batter.
- Place heaping tablespoons of batter into the ttreated muffin tin. About 1/3 cup batter per mufin.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Fabulous muffins! I used hand-picked Maine blueberries -- saved for such a perfect recipe. Thanks JustCallMeToni!
Wonderful! I was looking for a recipe that only used a little milk and to use up some ingredients that I only had a little of (crystalized ginger and cornmeal) -- these were perfect and also very good point wise -- I estimate at 3 pts plus/serving. By the way I was able to get 13 muffins from this recipe. Thanks for sharing this delicious treat!