Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
YUM! Can't wait to try this! Freeze time is approximately 5-6 hours if you use an ice cream machine.
- 3⁄4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 finely grated orange, juice and rind of
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 18 ounces plain low-fat yogurt
- Place the blueberries, orange rind and juice into a food processor or blender and process to a puree. Strain through a sieve into a bowl or pitcher.
- Stir the maple syrup and yogurt together in a large mixing bowl, then fold in fruit puree.
- Churn the mixture in an ice cream machine, following the manufacturer's instructions, then freeze for 5-6 hours. If you do not have an ice cream machine, transfer the mixture to a freezerproof container and freeze for 2 hours.
- Remove from the freezer, turn out into a bowl, and beat until smooth. Return to the freezer and freeze until firm.
I made this today using strawberries and thus I consequently chose to use lemon juice instead of orange. I used the maple syrup but there is no maple flavour in the finished product, it just provides a little sweetness. The colour was marvellous and it was so easy to do even for me without an ice cream making machine. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a healthy treat on a hot summers day that is totally trouble free to whip up. Five stars plus.
I used fat free yogurt and no sugar added syrup to make this perfect summer treat. I did use the machine. To be honest I love it the most in the soft serve stage when the machine is just finished. I simply love that it isn't sugar and fat laden frozen yogurt but diabetic friendly so that I can enjoy it with no guilt or monitoring my blood sugars for the next 8 hours. Gotta love that as much as the dessert itself. :D
I used frozen blueberries but other than that the list of ingredients was followed! Then I didn't strain the fruit puree because the little flecks of fruit were no bother for either of us! Also didn't use an ice cream maker but just a freezer tray (just like my mom used to do when I was a kid) & the resulting frozen dessert was absolutely delicious! Very much worth making again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Everyday Is a Holiday recipe tag]