1 hr 20 mins
Sweet Diva's Note:
From Taste of Home. This is a frequent birthday breakfast request by my DH. It's also a great breakfast recipe for overnight guests - it looks and tastes like you fussed, but since it is made ahead and chilled overnight, it's quite easy on the morning cook! Make the sauce the evening before and just reheat when ready to serve. With luscious blue berries inside and in a sauce, it's almost more like a dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 slices day-old white bread, crusts removed
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or 1/3 cup honey
- 1Cut bread into 1-in. cubes; place half in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Cut cream cheese into 1-in. cubes; place over bread.
- 2Top with blueberries and remaining bread cubes.
- 3In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk and syrup; mix well.
- 4Pour over bread mixture.
- 5Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 6Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- 7Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown and center is set.
- 8In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth.
- 9Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- 10Stir in blueberries; reduce heat.
- 11Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until berries have burst.
- 12Stir in butter until melted. Serve with French toast.
- 13Yield: 6-8 servings (1-3/4 cups sauce).
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blueberry French Toast
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 826.2
- Calories from Fat 387
- Total Fat 43.0 g
- Saturated Fat 23.1 g
- Cholesterol 522.6 mg
- Sodium 760.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 51.8 g
- Protein 25.1 g