Recipe by Susan Dillard
I got this recipe from a good friend and have fixed it several times, it is always a big hit. Notes: Prep time is actual hands on time, it needs to sit overnight and take out of refrigerator 30 min. before baking. I have fixed this without cubing bread and it works fine. Also, you may wish to decrease cream cheese to 1 package instead of two. I have fixed it both ways. I think 1 package is plenty.
Top Review by Cheri Lee
My family loves this! Because it is so decadent, we only make it for special occasions. I use french bread instead of white sandwich bread for a thicker texture. And of course, I always make extra sauce! (The sauce is great on ice cream too!)
- 12 slices day-old white bread, crusts removed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup or 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Place half of bread cubes in greased 9"x13" baking dish (enough to thoroughly cover bottom of baking dish).
- Cut cream cheese into 1-inch cubes; place over bread.
- Top with blueberries and remaining bread.
- Beat eggs, milk, syrup or honey together and pour over bread.
- Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minute. Uncover and bake 25-30 minute more or until golden brown and the center is set.
- In saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; add water.
- Bring to a boil; boil 3 minutes, stirring.
- Stir in blueberries; reduce heat.
- Simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until berries burst.
- Stir in butter until melted.