Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
While looking for an interesting recipe for blueberry muffins I stumbled across information regarding flax seed. I looked at a number of muffin recipes and combined several to come up with these. They are healthy, with no added oil, yet moist.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed meal
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray a 12 cup, non-stick muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, oat bran, flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the Splenda, sugar, buttermilk, applesauce, egg, lemon zest, and lemon extract, mixing until just combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin is removed clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan, then remove muffins and place on a wire rack to finish cooling.
I made this as directed and just like the other reviewers mentioned, the ratio of wet to dry ingredients isn't correct. I had made this once before with many subs and they turned out great then. I had used whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular flour, regular sugar in place of the Splenda, 1/2 cup blueberry yogurt and 1/2 cup mashed banana instead of the buttermilk (which is probably why they turned out great), and butter extract instead of the lemon extract.
Great recipe! I did change a few things based on our tastes & what we had on hand. I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose, oatmeal instead of oat bran, all sugar instead of using splenda, homemade yogurt instead of buttermilk and vanilla & cinnamon instead of the lemon. The kids love them & so do we!
Loved them! We used butter and oil in place of the applesauce, and a tsp lemon juice for the lemon extract. They are fantastic!