Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
You will never have soggy crusts again if you make your pie like this. You can make this and freeze it for using later. UPDATE: I just finished doing it in the microwave, so much easier than standing over a pot stirring. It took about 15 minutes, stirring after the first 5 min and every couple minutes until thick and clear looking. I added the cornstarch mixture after the first 5 minutes.
- 946.36 ml blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 158.51-236.59 ml sugar (I use 2/3 cup as we don't like our pies too sweet)
- 59.14 ml lemon juice
- 59.14-78.07 ml cornstarch (depending on how thick you like your filling)
- 59.14 ml water
- In a heavy saucepan mix together blueberries, sugar and lemon juice.
- Over medium heat bring to boil, stirring frequently.
- Mix cornstarch with water to make a paste.
- Pour into berry mixture, stirring constantly until thick.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- You can now freeze it or use for pie.
- Bake at 400*F for about 35 minutes.
wow this worked well I used 1/4 cup corn starch and 2/3 cup sugar...and guess what? 1 cup really super finely shredded zucchini it sounds crazy but it picks up the blueberry flavor and color...the kids will NEVER know...it stretches the recipe out a bit and uses up some of summers harvest highly recommended as is (and with the sneaky veggie option)
Awesome, we love our pie oowey gooey, this was just like the inside of a table talk pie(the little individual pies). We loved it. I have to say I mixed the pie filling and made my pie right away, only let it slightly cool, we figured if the bottom crust was soggy so be it, we could not wait after the whole house smelled so good. The pie cooked up wonderfully. We will have this on hand in the freezer next week(going blueberry picking)Thanks for sharing...this is 5star!!!
I just made a double recipe, 4 cups at a time, for a huge (9.5" deep dish) pie. I microwaved the sugar, lemon juice, and blueberry mixture for 8 minutes, stirring after five minutes, added the cornstarch/water mixture at 8 minutes and microwaved for 5 more-came out perfectly! I added 1t. grated lemon zest, 1/2 t. cinnamon and 1/4 t. nutmeg to each 4 cup batch. The filling looks and tastes amazing! Best ever! The pie's in the oven-can't wait to eat it with my family as a 4th of July treat later. Thanks for the recipe and the microwave hints!