Chewy rings of egg-rich dough are sweetened with a sugar-stevia blend and studded with dried blueberries. It's better (and cheaper!) than the deli!
- 2⁄3 cup warm water, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry active yeast
- 3 eggs
- 5 (1 g) packets stevia or 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cups whole wheat bread flour
- 2 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup dried blueberries, soaked in warm water and drained
- 2 tablespoons malt syrup or 2 tablespoons honey
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine 1/4 cup warm water, brown sugar and yeast. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Beat in remaining water, eggs and stevia.
- Add the flour, gluten, nutmeg, salt and blueberries and knead for 10 minutes.
- Cover and allow to rise 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down, divide into 8 pieces.
- Let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape each piece into a ring and set on a baking sheet. Cover with a towel and let rest while you prepare the water bath.
- Preheat oven to 400F, line 2 baking sheets with parchment or SilPat.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add malt syrup.
- Place 2 bagels at a time into the water and let boil for 1 minute, flipping after 30 seconds.
- Scoop out with a slotted spoon and place on the lined sheets.
- Bake 20 minutes, rotating pans after 10 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.