Recipe by Brenda.
**You will need an Ebelskiver pan for this recipe.** These light, fluffy pancakes make a delicious breakfast treat paired with lingonberry or raspberry jam. Be adventurous, sub out the blueberries and try chocolate chips, diced bananas, raspberries, etc.... My Fav? Banana/Walnut.
Top Review by Loupy
I've eaten these all my life and we have never put ricotta cheese in them. I love them, but not a fan of ricotta so, made them without and they were still delicious. I have several recipes for them and will add this to them. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pint blueberries
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- In a batter pitcher or bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, granulated sugar, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In another bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks.
- Whisk in the buttermilk and ricotta.
- Whisk the yolk mixture into the flour mixture until well combined; the mixture will be lumpy. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently stir the whites into the batter in two additions.
- Put 1/2 teaspoons butter in each well of a ebelskiver pan.
- Place over medium heat and heat until the butter begins to bubble.
- Pour 1 Tbs. batter into each well.
- Place 4 blueberries in the center of the batter and top with 1 Tbs batter.
- Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Using 2 wooden skewers (I use chopsticks), turn the pancakes over and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes more.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining batter and blueberries.
- Dust the pancakes with confectioners’ sugar and serve warm.
- For a savory variation fill Æbelskiver with a well chilled butter with herbs cube, grated aged cheese, or pieces of bacon or ham and omit the dusting of powdered sugar.