Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Show: Food Network Specials Episode: All-Star Desserts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar, plus
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 quart fresh blueberries
- 2 cups water
- vanilla ice cream or fresh cream, for serving
- Stir flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl.
- Cut butter into dry ingredients, using a pastry cutter or fork. Add milk to form dough. Set dumpling dough aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine berries, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and water and bring to a boil. Drop dumplings into hot boiling berries by the tablespoonful.
- Cover pot, reduce heat to low, and cook slowly for 20 to 30 minutes. Do not remove the lid before 20 minutes has passed, and do not stir dumplings.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or fresh cream.
Excellent! It doesn't get any better than this recipe!!!
I had never heard of Blueberry Dumplings before until a friend mentioned them. It is October and fresh blueberries were out of the question, so I used a 16oz bag of frozen. I also substituted Bisquick for the flour baking power and salt. My Dad thought he was back on the farm in West Virginia and everyone else loved this dessert! Thanks for the great recipe!!