Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
In 'Sarabeth's Bakery' by Sarabeth Levine
Make and share this Blueberry Crumb Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- softened unsalted butter, for the pan
- 1 large seedless orange
- 2⁄3 cup corn oil
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar, rubbed through a medium-mesh sieve to remove any lumps
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 6 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Position a rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 400°.
- Brush the insides of 10 muffins cups with softened butter, then brush the top of the pan.
- Make the streusel: mix the flour, superfine sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, and vanilla with your fingers in a small bowl until combined and crumbly; set aside.
- Grate the zest from the orange; set aside.
- Juice the orange and measure; you should have 1/3 cup.
- Whisk the oil, milk, orange juice, orange zest, and eggs together in a bowl.
- Whisk the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt together in another bowl.
- Add to the liquids and stir with a spoon just until combined; do not overmix.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Using a 2 1/2 inch diameter ice-cream scoop, portion the batter, rounded side up, into the prepared muffin cups.
- Generously sprinkle with the streusel.
- Bake for 10 minutes; decrease oven temperature to 375° and continue baking until the tops of the muffins are golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean, about 15 minutes more.
- If using frozen berries, allow a few extra minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes; remove muffins from pan to wire rack and cool completely.
These look great out of the oven, but are a little bland. More sugar and spices might help.