1 hr 25 mins
I found this delicious, fantastic tasting recipe on Alexandra's food blog. She adapted the recipe from the NY Times’ column "Big Appetite" by Melissa Clark via the blog Smitten Kitchen. So this has been around and through many kitchens before arriving on Zaar. I am so glad to have found this wonderful use for our blueberries! You will love it, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter, for greasing pan
For the filling
For the crumbs
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour (or all-purpose)
For the cake
- 1Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- 2Grease an 8-inch-square baking pan.
- 3Toss blueberries with sugar and cornstarch.
- 4Set aside.
- 5To make crumbs, in a large bowl, whisk together sugars, spices, salt and butter until smooth.
- 6Stir in flour with a spatula. (It will look like a solid dough.).
- 7To prepare cake, in a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
- 8Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking
- 9powder and salt.
- 10Add butter and a spoonful of sour cream mixture and mix on medium speed until flour is moistened.
- 11Increase speed and beat for 30 seconds.
- 12Add remaining sour cream mixture in two batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition, and scraping down the sides of bowl with a spatula.
- 13Scoop out about ½ cup of the batter and set aside.
- 14Scrape remaining batter into prepared pan. Spoon blueberries over batter.
- 15Dollop set-aside batter over berries; it does not have to be even.
- 16Using your fingers, break topping mixture into big crumbs, about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch in size. They do not have to be uniform, but make sure most are around that size.
- 17Sprinkle over cake.
- 18Bake cake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean of batter, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool completely before serving.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blueberry Crumb Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.0
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 110.2 mg
- Sodium 373.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 35.9 g
- Protein 5.7 g