Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
I found this delicious, fantastic tasting recipe on Alexandra's food blog. She adapted the recipe from the NY Times’ column "Big Appetite" by Melissa Clark via the blog Smitten Kitchen. So this has been around and through many kitchens before arriving on Zaar. I am so glad to have found this wonderful use for our blueberries! You will love it, too.
- butter, for greasing pan
For the filling
- 1⁄2 lb blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 3⁄4 cups cake flour (or all-purpose)
For the cake
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened & cut into 8 pieces
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Grease an 8-inch-square baking pan.
- Toss blueberries with sugar and cornstarch.
- Set aside.
- To make crumbs, in a large bowl, whisk together sugars, spices, salt and butter until smooth.
- Stir in flour with a spatula. (It will look like a solid dough.).
- To prepare cake, in a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
- Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking
- powder and salt.
- Add butter and a spoonful of sour cream mixture and mix on medium speed until flour is moistened.
- Increase speed and beat for 30 seconds.
- Add remaining sour cream mixture in two batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition, and scraping down the sides of bowl with a spatula.
- Scoop out about ½ cup of the batter and set aside.
- Scrape remaining batter into prepared pan. Spoon blueberries over batter.
- Dollop set-aside batter over berries; it does not have to be even.
- Using your fingers, break topping mixture into big crumbs, about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch in size. They do not have to be uniform, but make sure most are around that size.
- Sprinkle over cake.
- Bake cake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean of batter, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool completely before serving.