Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This yummy crumb cake gets put together the night before to make your morning easier! Blueberries contain beneficial anti-oxidants so have another slice! From the Schramm House Bed & Breakfast, Burlington, Iowa. Time does not include storing in refrigerator overnight.
- 2 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup milk, I use 2 percent
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Sift flour,sugar,baking powder and salt. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or two knives. ( I pulsed it all in my food processor in the order listed).
- Mix together milk and eggs and mix into to dry ingredients.
- Fold in berries and spread in a 13x9 greased or sprayed pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Mix together topping ingredients and keep in a small bowl until ready to bake.
- In the morning or next day, Spread topping over batter and bake uncovered for about 25 minutes at 375 degrees until topping is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake.
I poured the batter in, layered the berries on top, then sprinkled on the topping. I also added a touch of maple syrup to the topping. Delicious! For ZWT4 Flying Duchess'
I made this from the magazine American Profile. It was awesome. I like the idea of making the cake the day before. It came out perfect.