Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my version of a bakery style blueberry buckle. I especially like this recipe because it has walnuts in the crumb topping on a moist cake which is perfect for breakfast or brunch.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups blueberries, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare crumb topping, place flour, brown sugar, sugar and cinnamon in a food processor; pulse to combine. Add butter and process until crumbly. Add walnuts and pulse 3 times or until evenly distributed.
- To prepare the cake, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat until evenly blended. Turn to low speed; add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk and beat until blended.
- Stir in 1 cup berries. Turn into pan and spread evenly. Scatter remaining 1 cup berries over top and sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake 45 minutes or until nicely browned and edges of cake begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool on wire rack.
I made this recipe on 7/8/2011 for the Fruit Event in the Photo Forum.Except for leaving out the walnuts, the recipe was made exactly as it was written.Just like Bev, I too had to bake for an extra 20 minutes to get the middle done.The cake itself was very moist and had a very good flavor, and I thought the topping was just a bit " too sweet " for my tastes.If I do make this again, I'll cut the amounts of both sugars in half. Thanks so much for posting the recipe and, "Keep Smiling :) "
They aren't lying! This cake is the ultimate and I love it when I am on the run at breakfast time. I just grab a piece and eat it on the way! I used pecans instead of the walnuts, and each bite is total bliss!
We loved this recipe- easy to make and it came out perfectly. I skipped the nuts and added a bit more cinnamon.