Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
The topping for this can be made up to a day ahead and chilled. This is a must served with vanilla ice cream!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon (can use more to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter (no subs! cut into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh blueberries (about 8 cups)
- 1 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- For the topping; whisk together the flour, sugar, lemon zest and cinnamon.
- Add in 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold butter pieces; using fingertips mix together until moist clumps form.
- Add/mix in the nuts (can be made ahead and chilled in a covered container until ready to use).
- For the filling; place the berries in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the berries, then toss berries lightly to coat with lemon juice.
- In a small bowl mix together the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over the berries; toss gently to blend.
- Transfer/spread the berry mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture over evenly.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and thick and topping is golden brown.
- Cool slightly before serving.