Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The first time I made these I found that for so many muffins there was not enough streusel topping for my liking, so I doubled the topping mixture the second time --- follow the directions for the muffins, add in the whites *after* the flour and mix for no more than 1 minute --- although I haven't tried it as yet, I imagine this would work using firm ripe finely chopped strawberries in place of blueberries, these are *very* good!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar (increase for a sweeter muffin)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (can use butter-flavor Crisco shortening in place of butter)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 egg whites
- 3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen unthawed)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup oats (old fashioned or quick oats)
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened (no subs!)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lighty grease 30 regular-size muffin tins or line with paper muffin liners.
- For the cupcake, in a bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In another bowl beat sugar with softened butter and almond extract until fluffy using an electric mixer (about 3 minutes).
- Add in milk; beat until combined.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add in egg whites; beat at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Spoon/divide the batter between the prepared muffin tins about half full.
- Spoon the blueberries over the batter.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile for the streusel, in a bowl combine 1/3 cup flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon; mix well.
- Using a pastry blender or fingers cut in a 1/4 cup softened butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in chopped nuts.
- After 10 minutes of baking time, remove the cupcakes from the oven; sprinkle the batter over each cupcake.
- Return to over and bake another 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin tins for 10 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes to wire racks to cool completely.
These are delicious. They are so light, and the streusel topping adds such a nice layer of flavor over the top. These were enjoyed by everybody who tried them. A definite make-again recipe!
I have been wanting to make these for a long time. These were worth waiting for. I followed Kitten's detailed instructions and was rewarded with a fluffy beautiful blueberry cupcake/muffin. I took her advice and doubled the topping, but omitted the nuts because I was giving them out to friends and wasn't sure if they like nuts. I have to admit I increased the sugar to two cups. I love my baked goods on the sweet side. Follow these directions and you will be bake up beautiful better-than-bakery quality cupcakes/muffins. Excellent recipe as usual!!! Kitten's recipe's are ALWAYS great. I highly recommend this recipe.