Recipe by Cucina Casalingo
Since blueberries are in season for only a very limited time, and out-of-season fresh blueberries cost an arm and a leg, we like to make our blueberry crisp with readily available frozen berries. And besides, using fresh berries in a slow-cooking crisp, where they’ll become pleasantly mushy, is like getting all slicked up to go milk the cows: it doesn’t add anything to the experience, so why do it?
- 6 -7 cups frozen blueberries
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the blueberries: Place the berries in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat them for 4 to 5 minutes, till they're thawed and beginning to warm.
- Combine the berries with the remaining filling ingredients, and spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 8" round cake pan, 9" pie pan, or 9" round cake pan; if you use an 8" pan, be sure it's at least 2" deep.
- Bake the berries in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes, until the berries are starting to bubble.
- Meanwhile, make the topping: Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the melted butter and flavors, mixing till coarse crumbs form.
- Set the topping aside.
- Remove the berries from the oven, and spread/sprinkle the topping over the berries.
- Bake for an additional 45 minutes, until berries are bubbling and topping is beginning to brown.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool completely, preferably overnight.
- If you serve the crisp right away, it'll be very liquid; allowing it to set up overnight lets the berries reabsorb some of their juices.
- Next day, serve the crisp plain, or à la mode.
- Heat it briefly (about 30 seconds) in the microwave, if desired, to provide a nice warm bed for the ice cream!