Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
These delicious little tarts are a unique and fresh take on blueberry cheesecake. I think the crisp graham cracker type pastry shell is the perfect foil for the soft and airy cream cheese custard filling. The crowing glory is a juicy fresh blueberry compote.
Graham Cracker Tart Shells
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Pastry Cream
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup cream cheese, cut into cubes, and softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 2 1⁄2 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- To prepare the graham cracker shells cream the butter and sugars together until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the honey and beat until well combined.
- Sift together the flours, salt and cinnamon. Add to the butter mixture in two batches, scraping sides of bowl between additions. Mix until well combined. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325*F. Roll out the chilled dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick.Using a 3 inch cutter, cut out 16 circles of dough and press them into greased 2 inch tart pans. Prick dough all over with a fork and chill for 20 minutes.
- Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. (they can be made up to 1 cay ahead and frozen for up to 3 months).
- For the pastry cream, combine 3/4 cup of the milk and 3 TBS of sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together the egg yolks, cornstarch and the remaining 2 TBS sugar. Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup milk into the egg yolk mixture. Remove the milk mixture from the heat and add a little of the hot mixture to the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly to keep the egg yolks from cooking. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the hot milk mixture, whisking constantly as you pour.
- Return to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Let cook for 1 minute or so until it thickens. Add the cream cheese and vanilla, whisking until smooth. Strain through a cheesecloth lined sieve into a clean bowl. Cover the surface with plastic cling film and chill. Once chilled, whisk until smooth and fold in the whipped cream.
- To make the blueberry compote mix together 1 cup of the blueberries with the sugar in a medium saucepan. cook over low heat until the berries have all popped and broken down. (about 5 minutes) Strain the cookied berries into a bowl, discarding the solids. Add the remaining berries to the syrup and toss to combine.
- To assemble spoon the pastry cream into each tart shell and top with about 2 TBS of the blueberry compote. Serve soon after assembling.
- You can also make two large tarts. (use 9 inch tart pans.) Prick and bake as above increasing time to 25 minutes.