Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is for DH. From Sunset.
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed or 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3⁄4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- In a 1- to 2-quart pan over medium heat, bring blueberries and apple juice to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until blueberries have released their juices, about 3 minutes. In a small bowl, blend cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water.
- Add to blueberry mixture; stir until it simmers and thickens, about 1 minute. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl or food processor, mix or whirl flour and 3/4 cup sugar.
- Add butter to flour mixture. Cut in with a pastry blender or pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1/2 cup; pour remaining into a large bowl. Stir in baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon peel.
- In a bowl, mix yogurt, vanilla, and 1 egg until blended; stir into flour-baking powder mixture until incorporated.
- Spread batter in a buttered 9-inch round cake pan with a removable rim.
- In a bowl or food processor (no need to wash from step 2), beat with an electric mixer on high speed or whirl cream cheese, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, remaining egg, and lemon juice until smooth.
- Spread over batter in pan, leaving a 1/2-inch border bare. Gently spread blueberry mixture over cream cheese mixture, leaving some visible. Stir almonds into reserved flour mixture and sprinkle over cake, concentrating most around edge of batter.
- Bake in a 350° oven until center of cake barely jiggles when pan is gently shaken and top of cake is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then remove pan rim. Serve warm or at room temperature.