Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A truly divine coffee cake recipe - dense, moist, just plain delicious. NOTE: 2 1/2 cups flour minus 2 cups for the coffee cake minus 1/4 cup for tossing with the blueberries leaves 1/4 cup for the topping. :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon rind, grated, divided
- Cream together 1 1/4 cups sugar and 1/2 cup butter until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and water.
- Toss blueberries in 1/4 cup flour; fold into batter with cream cheese and 1 tsp lemon rind.
- Pour into greased and floured 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Combine remaining sugar, flour and rind; cut in remaining butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 1 hour.
We really enjoyed this coffee cake! It has a great balance of sweet, tart, and tangy. If I were to do anything differently next time, it would be to incorporate the cream cheese with the wet ingredients instead of dicing it and throwing it into the batter. Otherwise, I loved it! Thanks!
I really like the little chunks of cream cheese in this!!! The cake part was nice and moist, and not too sweet. I didnt have any problems reading this recipe like was said in another review. Thanks for sharing!!
I really think that this recipe needs some work... It mentions in the ingredients to divide the butter and sugar, but never mentions how much to divide the flour. Does the 1/4 cup for the blueberries come from the 2 1/2 cups??? Also, how much is supposed to be saved for the topping. My end result looked nice, but did not have a great taste. It was not sweet, in fact more biscuit like, and the blueberries were very tart due to the lack of sugar. Sorry!