Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Do we love blueberries! I am not much of a dessert chef, but I sure can whip up a good bread pudding...and this one is one of our favorites. Cooks Notes: You can use "fat-free" half-and-half and "reduced-fat" cream cheese and it still is wonderful.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Spray 2 qt shallow baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Beat eggs and sugar in bowl until light colored; add vanilla and orange peel.
- Add half-and-half; mix well.
- Place bread in baking dish; top with half of blueberries. Combine cream cheese and 2 T sugar; mix well.
- Drop cream cheese mixture by teaspoonfuls over blueberries and bread; sprinkle with remaining blueberries.
- Pour egg mixture over blueberries and bread. Wait 5 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar; serve warm.
Delicious! A superb, fresh twist on an old favorite. The tart berries contrast sharply with the sweet cream cheese, and every bite is different: sweet, tart, creamy, crunchy, moist, dry, light, dense... The only thing that kept it from reaching the 5-star rating was the odd consistency of the egg mixture after cooking. It was a bit curdly/grainy--easily forgiven though. It may have been caused by the way I baked it, as the recipe was confusing. Initially, it has you preheating the oven to 425, but later directs it to be baked at 350. After researching a few similar recipes I decided on 350, 30 min covered with foil then 30 min uncovered. There were a few areas I might change next time. First, use a THREE quart baking pan! I used the recommended 2-qt and it was filled right to the rim and thus spilled. For the bread, I used regular French, crusts on, and smashed it flat before cubing to obtain a dense consistency. It was perfect. The blueberries were very tart. If you like that contrast, keep it as is. If you prefer sweeter berries, using frozen or canned in syrup might result in a sweeter dessert. Finally, serve with a dollop of Cool Whip! All in all, this is one heck of a dessert. I will have ample opportunities to try variations, as it was even suggested I make it my
Excellent and very simple to put together. LOTS of blueberries, too. This is a definte keeper.
So easy and wonderful. Made with leftover bread and frozen blueberries.