1/1 Photo of Blueberry Cranberry Pie
1 hr 50 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
The kids will lick their plates clean. If no one is looking, the adults will, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Crust
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling
- 1/2 small orange, including peel, seeded and quartered
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries or 1 (12 ounce) package frozen cranberries, picked over and stemmed
- 4 cups fresh blueberries (about 20 oz.) or 4 cups frozen blueberries (about 20 oz.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
For the Topping
- 1To make the crust, combine the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor; add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 2Add the sour cream and water; process a few seconds until a dough ball just starts to form (do not over-process).
- 3Note: to make the dough by hand, place ingredients in a mixing bowl and use a pastry blender to cut butter and shortening into flour mixture; add the sour cream and ice water, and just mix until it comes together and forms a mass.
- 4Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and pat down to about 1-inch thick.
- 5Cut into 2 pieces; wrap each one in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- 6To make filling, coarsely grind the orange in a food processor or blender; set aside.
- 7In a large saucepan, mix together all remaining ingredients, along with orange, stirring to combine, and bring to a boil.
- 8Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and sugar is dissolved, about 4-6 minutes; set aside to cool completely.
- 9Position the rack in the center of the oven, and the other rack just beneath it.
- 10Peheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 11To prepare pie, roll out 1 piece of the dough on a slightly floured surface into a circle about 12-inches in diameter (dust surface with more flour as necessary).
- 12Roll the dough around the rolling pin, lift it over a 10-inch pie pan, and unroll over the pan; adjust to center the dough, then press into place.
- 13Roll out the remaining dough into a 12-inch circle; spoon the cooled filling into the pie shell in the pan, mounding it in the center.
- 14Using a pastry brush dipped in the milk, moisten the sides of the bottom crust, then drape the top crust over the pie.
- 15Lightly press the top and bottom crust edges together, and trim the excess dough by running a knife around the edge of the pan.
- 16Crimp edges to make a decorative border; also cut 3-4 venting slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- 17Brush top crust with milk, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- 18Place the pie in the preheated oven, and place a rimmed baking sheet below it.
- 19Bake for 45- 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- 20Cool on a wire rack; serve warm or at room temp; goes well with ice cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blueberry Cranberry Pie
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 622.0
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 447.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 52.4 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: