Recipe by Recipe Junkie
This is a recipe from one of my mother's old cookbooks. If you don't have buttermilk, sour milk will do, or you can mix 1 T vinegar with milk to make 1 cup.
Top Review by Ms B.
The flavor of this bread was excellent. However, using the loaf pan that I have always used for single loaves of quick bread, I had a problem. I could see that there was too much batter for the pan, and reserved a bit for a few ramekins. However, I still must have overfilled my loaf pan, and the batter ran all over the oven and created a burning, stinking mess. Since I was baking this at 3am, my hubby awoke to fears of the house being on fire and started his day in a foul mood...although that is another matter, entirely. LOL I also had trouble with the blueberries and cranberries sinking to the bottom of the loaf instead of disbursing through evenly. With all of this said, I have to repeat that the flavor of this bread was excellent. It is sweet, but the tart berries are a very refreshing burst of flavor. I recommend 2 loaf pans for baking, though.***edited to add***the recipe was changed to reflect the need for 2 loaf pans after I first submitted the review.
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease two standard size loaf pans.
- Mix cranberries, blueberries and granulated sugar together in saucepan, cooking over medium heat and stirring until sugar is dissloved.
- Remove from heat and set fruit aside to cool.
- Mix brown sugar and butter in mixing bowl and beat until blended. Add eggs and beat well.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl and stir until well mixed.
- Add to butter mixture and stir until just blended.
- Stir in fruit and sugar mixture.
- Spoon batter into greased loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour and ten minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center.
- Remove and cool.