Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a delicious cake like cornbread with blueberries. Wonderful easy comfort food. Serve along side roasted meat, or chili. Great for brunch menus. Or my DH's favorite, smothered in butter and honey! Adapted from Sunset Magazine. Note -- If you don't have masa flour, increase cornmeal to 1 1/3 cups.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup dehydrated masa corn flour (see note above)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed
- In a bowl, beat eggs, buttermilk, and butter to blend. In another bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, masa, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture just until evenly moistened. Gently stir in berries. Spread level in a buttered 8-inch square pan.
- Bake in a 375°F oven until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, then cut into 9 squares.
Mmmm, YUMMY! I made this for lunch today and it turned out so nice-dense and berry moist on the inside with a slight crunch on the outside. As WiGal already stated: the sweetness is spot on and the flavours combine really well. I used half cornmeal and half polenta (which is coarse cornmeal) and this worked perfectly. The dough was easy to work with and it all came together quite quickly, too. I messed it up a little cause I was in a hurry (mixed dry and wet ingredients too early), but this is a very forgiving recipe and I luved the outcome. As you see in the pic, I baked mine in muffin tins (the baking time stayed the same, though). THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this lovely treat with us, Kittycatmom! Do you have any more cornbread recipes in store? Id luv to try them! :) Made and reviewed for Everyday is a Holiday Tag Game July 09.
Loved this! Nice gritty texture which is the way I like my cornbread and just the right amount of sweetness. I appreciate your hint about the masa flour as that is not something I typically buy. Might be good with some other berries-raspberries or cranberries. Served ours with turkey, mashed potatoes, and carrots. Thanks kittycatmom for sharing. Made for PRMR.
Enjoyed making this recipe especially with the combo of buttermilk, corneal & blueberries ~ VERY, VERY NICE TREAT for us, particularly when spread with a flavorful dark honey! Another time I"ll definitely have to double the recipe, 'cause these were gone in no time at all! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a bonus review in the Summertime Spectacular event]