Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is different than the other recipes posted on here in that applesauce enriches the batter, keeping them moist and replacing some of the fat. Try them for a delicious, lower in fat, treat!
- 3 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oranges or 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Make the streusel by blending all the streusel ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly and well blended. Refrigerate and use as needed.
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners, or coat with melted butter and dust with flour, or spray generously with cooking spray (don't forget the tops of the tins to allow for easy release).
- Whisk the applesauce, sugar, oil, egg, lemon zest,vanilla and orange or lemon extracts together in a large bowl. In another bowl, sift the flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, blending just until mixed.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Divide into the prepared cups and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the streusel, saving the remainder of the streusel for another time.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly touched with a finger. Cool for about 5 minutes, then remove from pan.