Recipe by Wildflower5656
My mother's recipe; a quick and crumbly coffee cake perfect for any occasion.
Top Review by Columbier
I made a few changes to this recipe and it turned out really well. I substituted margarine for the oil and added a teaspoon of vanilla flavouring, might use coconut or lemon, as well, next time. I beat the margarine and sugar before adding the eggs. I also cooked it in a heavy bundt pan and it came out completely cooked and golden brown. I almost omitted the milk but realized the batter was too dry so rechecked the ingredient list. I didn't bother with the icing as the jam made it sweet enough. I think it would be great served with whipped cream.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2⁄3 cup blueberry jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together eggs, oil and sugar. Stir in salt, baking powder and flour, but do not overmix!
- Pour 1/2 the mixture into a well greased and floured loaf pan.
- Spread blueberry jam (or any other type of jam. I've also used baby food and cranberry sauce for this) over batter.
- Top with remaining batter, and bake at 350°F until a toothpick can be inserted and withdrawn cleanly.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes; meanwhile:.
- Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice and beat until smooth.
- Remove cake from pan, and pour icing over to top.