Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My mother's recipe; a quick and crumbly coffee cake perfect for any occasion.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2⁄3 cup blueberry jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Beat together eggs, oil and sugar. Stir in salt, baking powder and flour, but do not overmix!
- Pour 1/2 the mixture into a well greased and floured loaf pan.
- Spread blueberry jam (or any other type of jam. I've also used baby food and cranberry sauce for this) over batter.
- Top with remaining batter, and bake at 350°F until a toothpick can be inserted and withdrawn cleanly.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes; meanwhile:.
- Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice and beat until smooth.
- Remove cake from pan, and pour icing over to top.
I made a few changes to this recipe and it turned out really well. I substituted margarine for the oil and added a teaspoon of vanilla flavouring, might use coconut or lemon, as well, next time. I beat the margarine and sugar before adding the eggs. I also cooked it in a heavy bundt pan and it came out completely cooked and golden brown. I almost omitted the milk but realized the batter was too dry so rechecked the ingredient list. I didn't bother with the icing as the jam made it sweet enough. I think it would be great served with whipped cream.
I was really disappointed with this recipe. I bake often so I figured the lack of instructions others mention wouldn't be too much of a challenge. Like another reviewer, I added the buttermilk alternately with the dry ingredients. The problem came when I tried to decide when to remove it from the oven. It looked "right" but the center was still testing too doughy. By the time the middle tested done, the bread was rather dark and definitely too dry. I wonder if this would be better baked in a 9-inch square pan rather than a loaf pan. Another review mentions over mixing can cause it to not bake in the middle, but I don't think I did over mix it. I used homemade cherry jam instead of blueberry. The family ate it, but everyone agreed the cake didn't have much flavor and it was extremely dry. I doubt I'll bother making it again. Sorry!
I love a challenge. Actually, I made this because ofthe reviews :) I added the buttermilk alternating it with the flour. Was very careful not to overmix it because THAT CAUSES IT TO NOT BAKE IN THE MIDDLE. I heated my oven to 350 and baked for abut 35-40 minutes (only because I personally like a darker crust). It was great! Good recipe wildflower, I'm keeping this one to make again.