Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy to make and great for breakfast with tea or coffee. This is nice to make when you are craving blueberries but fresh berries are hard to find. I usually use about 1 to 1 1/2 cans pie filling but the original recipe calls for 2 full cans. The recipe comes from Natural Temptations.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 2 (21 ounce) cans blueberry pie filling
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Cream the sugar and butter in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla and the eggs.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream mixing well after each addition.
- In a greased 9x13 pan, layer half the batter, all of the pie filling, rest of the batter.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar topping.
- Bake at 350º for 1 hour.
- For the topping: Combine all ingredients in a snall bowl and mix well.
I thought it was good, but WAY too sweet (hence the 4 stars). I halved the sugar, used a 19 oz can of strawberry pie filling and put no topping, but I still thought it was too sweet. Also, I skipped the salt, used half butter and half oil, and replaced the sour cream by 1 1/4 cups plain skimmed yogurt and 1/4 cup pear puree (that's what I had in my fridge) and those modifications worked fine. I also made a mistake : I baked it at 375 for the first 23 minutes, realized my mistake, reduced the heat to 325 for the rest of the hour and the doneness seemed unimpacted, although it probably made the cake crustier. Next time, I'll try making my own filling with frozen fruit, a little instant tapioca and no sugar.
Loved this! I actually used blackberry pie filling by mistake but it still turned out great. I recommend doubling the topping...I did and my family loved it. Thanks for sharing!
This was a great recipe and very easy to make!