Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A friend made this and gave me the recipe. I'm so glad she did, because my whole family loves this! My Brother even thinks I should sell it to the corner coffee shop!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen, not thawed, if frozen rinse in water)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9x9 inch square cake tin.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and the shortening. Stir in the egg, and then the milk. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix quickly. Then carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Combine all of the topping ingredients and sprinkle over batter. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm with butter.