Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is undoubtably one of the best coffee cakes I have ever made. I always have to give the recipe out whenever I make it. The almond flavor really adds to the taste of this recipe. Of course, if you don't like almond, you can use vanilla flavoring. I have never made it using vanilla, though.
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract (I use 1 tsp. because I like almond flavoring)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped pecans or 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Combine blueberries, water, 1/3 cup water and cornstarch in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring constantly. Set sauce aside.
- Cream butter; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating at medium speed of electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir
- in almond extract.
- Spoon half of batter into a greased 10-inch Bundt or tube pan; spoon on half of the blueberry sauce, swirling partially through batter with a knife.
- Repeat with remaining batter and blueberry sauce. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 350F degrees for 50 minutes or until done. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from pan. Invert pan onto serving plate and drizzle with glaze. Yield: one 10-inch coffeecake.
- 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar.
- 1 tablespoon warm water.
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
- Combine all ingredients, stirring well. Yield: 1/4 cup.
- CINNAMON-NUT COFFEE CAKE: Delete blueberries, water, 1/3 cup
- sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Combine 3/4 cup firmly
- packed brown sugar, 3/4 cup chopped pecans and 1 teaspoon
- ground cinnamon. Replace blueberry mixture with brown sugar
- CRANBERRY COFFEE CAKE: Delete blueberries, water, 1/3 cup
- sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Replace blueberry mixture
- with 1 16 oz. can whole-berry cranberry sauce.
Wow, this is good! I needed to use up a bunch of blueberries so along with the blueberry sauce I also stirred about a cup of berries into the batter - Blueberry heaven! The cake has such a nice flavor - the almond is very faint and doesn't overpower the cake at all. The batter is very thick and I had a little trouble swirling the last portion of sauce in, but that didn't affect the flavor at all and the cake still looked great. I'll definitely be making this again before blueberry season is over!