Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got the original recipe from the Joy of Vegan Baking. I changed a few things in the recipe to make it lower carb. Instead of using just all purpose flour I substituted 1/3 of a cup with almond meal. I used Z-Sweet sugar substitute instead of sugar and used a mixture of black and blue berries. You could use any type of fruit in this. I used frozen berries in mine, and added an extra tbsp. of brown rice flour in the berries to make sure they thickened up enough.
FOR THE COBBLER DOUGH
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour (unbleached)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (divided)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegan margarine (melted)
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tablespoons soymilk (or other non dairy milk to brush on the top. You could also use melted vegan margarine here as well.)
FOR THE FILLING
- 5 cups blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (Lime zest would be nice here too) (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375'F.
- Prepare an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan or a 8 x 10 inch rectangular baking pan that is at least 2 inches deep.
- I used an 8 1/2 x 11 x 2 3/4 inch oval casserole dish for mine. So there are a few different size baking dishes you could use here.
- FOR THE COBBLER DOUGH:.
- Combine the flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix until completely combined. I used a whisk and it did the trick.
- Add the non-dairy margarine and milk to make a sticky dough. Set aside.
- NOTE: You could also add the margarine cold (instead of melted) to the flour mixture for a flakier dough. That's what I did.
- FOR THE FILLING:.
- Wash and dry the blueberries. I used a mixture of frozen blue and black berries. I just thawed them in the microwave and kept the juice. I wanted that because I like the taste of it.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, flour and lemon or lime zest if using.
- Spread the fruit mixture evenly in the bottom of your baking dish.
- Using a tablespoon scoop out the cobbler dough and distribute it evenly over the fruit. You can also leave the dough in blobs or spread it over the fruit evenly, its up to you.
- Brush either the vegan margarine or non dairy milk over the cobbler dough and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and the juices are thick and bubbly. This should take about 45-50 minutes.
- Let cool about 15 minutes before serving.
- Bon Appetit!