Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Another recipe from my mom's chutney collection. Adapted from Southern Living. Good spread on top of cheese and crackers. Also goes nicely with grilled chicken or pork.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Thoroughly enjoyed making this recipe, & particularly liked the combo of the berries, apple & OJ! Froze half of it but we like it so much that the frozen half batch won't be there long, & I'll be making this again soon! Thanks for a great keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of the theme Chutney? ~ Mango, Yes, & More! in the current Comfort Cafe]
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups blueberries (fresh "or" frozen)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the first 7 ingredients to a large pot; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the apple is tender, stir frequently.
- Add in blueberries and vinegar; bring to a boil Lower heat to medium and cook 40 minutes or until thickened; stir often.
- Divide mixture into air-tight containers.
- Store in refrigerator up to 1 week; freeze up to 6 months.