Recipe by Chocolatl
This is a very dense, creamy, and not overly sweet cheesecake. The method is based on the method in I Love Cheesecake by Mary Crownover. I was extremely skeptical of this baking method at first, but it works perfectly. You do not need a water bath, but you may want to wrap or line the bottom of the pan anyway, as I found some of the butter from the crust did leak out. It is very important not to overbeat after adding the eggs, as this can cause circular cracks. This cheesecake freezes beautifully. Time includes cooling time but not overnight chilling time.
- 2 cups cookie crumbs, from Keebler Sandies, any flavor (about 14 cookies)
- 3 -4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature (32 ounces total)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3⁄4 cup blueberry preserves (preferably Smuckers spreadable fruit)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cookie crumbs, butter and sugar and mix well.
- Press into the bottom of a lightly greased 9" springform pan.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar and cornstarch together until light and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating on medium speed after each addition, just until mixed. Do not overbeat. Do not beat on high speed.
- Mix in lime zest and vanilla extract.
- Fold in blueberries. Mixture will be thick.
- Spoon or pour filling into crust.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200°F.
- Continue to bake for 2 hours, or until filling is firm but still slightly jiggly in center.
- Remove from oven and turn oven off.
- Carefully run a knife around the inside edge of the pan.
- Return to oven and let cool for 2 hours.
- This is best if refrigerated overnight at this point to let the flavors blend.
- Combine preserves, cornstarch and lime juice in a small saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until bubbly and thickened, 7-10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and spread over top of cheesecake.
- Chill at least one hour before serving.