These muffins won 2nd place in a King Arthur Flour contest. I've been making them since my kids were babies and have brought them to many functions. The yogurt makes them fluffy and the almond flavoring gives them a special bakery flavor. You can substitute pureed cottage cheese for the ricotta.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar (depending on sweetness of the berries)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup blueberries (I like canned or frozen wild blueberries)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease 8-10 muffins tins (I always make mini muffins).
- In a large bowl combine with a wire whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well blended.
- In a medium-sized bowl beat together the almond extact,vanilla extract, melted butter, ricotta cheese, yogurt, and eggs.
- Add to flour mixture.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Batter wil be soft and lumpy.
- Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full and bake 20 minutes.