Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is an excellent and showy cake. A blue berry sauce goes very well with it.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- Butter three 8-inch layer pans, line with waxed aper and butter again.
- In a big bowl, beat eggs until thickened.
- Beat in sugar, 2 TBSP at a time, until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Sift together flour an baking powder.
- Beat cream, vanilla and salt in a chilled bowl to stiff peaks.
- Fold whipped cream mixture into egg mixture, alternating with flour mixture and nuts.
- Divide batter equally among pans.
- Sprinkle each layer with 1/3 cup blueberries.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes Cool in pans on rack for 5 minutes, then remove from pans and continue cooling on racks.
- Prepare Lemon Filling by beating butter, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Beat in yolks, one at a time, until well combined.
- Invert 1 cake layer on a serving plate.
- Spread with half the lemon filling; add a second layer and spread with remaining filling.
- Top with last layer and sprinkle top of cake with confectioners sugar.
- Garnish with fresh blueberries and lemon leaves if desired.
- NOTE: filling contains raw egg yolks so do not serve to children or the elderly.
- If this makes you nervous, you may substitute cooked lemon curd, but it is not as nice.