Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe comes from a cookbook titled The First Batch of Treasured Recipes from Home by Kyla Pierik and was purchased at Apple Berry Farm Market in my hometown. The blueberry cake is warmed and then you pour the heated sauce over top. Some may find it a tad bit sweet, but in our household it was a definite winner.
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- For the cake, cream sugar and shortening.
- Add egg and vanilla, mix and then add all dry ingredients alternately with milk, stirring to mix completely.
- Add blueberries last and pour into 9" x 9" baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 300 degree or until centre is set.
- For the sauce, mix brown sugar, flour and salt together in a saucepan.
- Add boiling water and cook over low heat until thickened.
- Add butter and vanilla last.
- Stir and serve over warm blueberry cake.
I'm from PEI and my mom use to make this. Its fantastic and tastes just the same! Thank you very much!