Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cake is an old family recipe, very easy and very delicious
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Cream the shortening, sugar, eggs and milk.
- Add the flour and baking powder.
- Add the 1/4cp flour with the blueberries in a separate bowl, then add to the mixture.
- Put into a greased 13 x 9 baking pan and bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Cool completely and dust top with powder sugar.
i thought the cake was ok. came out dry. nice flavor though.
Very easy and quite tasty, but lacking a little something. Will try adding vanilla or maybe lemon zest next time. I used canola oil instead of shortening, maple syrup instead of sugar, rice milk in place of regular milk, and to make it gluten free used 2 c rice flour and 1 c tapioca flour. I dusted blueberries in 1/4 c rice flour. Batter was very thin and I had to bake it more than double the time (due to my substitutions), but in the end it set and turned out quite nicely.
I did a half recipe in an 8" square pan. The cake baked up nicely with a decent amount of berries in it, but it was SO sugary. I would cut the sugar by at least a quarter next time, possibly half, unless the berries I was using were sour!