Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
One would never guess that the filling is buttermilk. Allow for 90 minutes of chilling for the shell.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cut into bits
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk, well stirred
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups picked over fresh blueberries
- powdered sugar (to garnish)
- Make the tart shell: In a food processor, or with a pastry blender, mix together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut in the butter and blend until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add the yolk mixture, toss until liquid is incorporated.
- Form the dough into a ball.
- Dust the dough with flour.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, fit it into a 10-inch tart pan with a removable rim.
- Chill the formed tart shell for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the chilled shell with foil, fill it with the pastry weights or rice, and bake the shell for 25 minutes, until it is a pale golden color.
- Cool the shell in its pan on a rack.
- Make the filling: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together the buttermilk,egg yolks, sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice, melted butter, vanilla, salt and the flour just until smooth.
- Remove the pastry weights and foil from the shell.
- Place the tart shell on a baking sheet.
- Spread the blueberries in the shell and pour the buttermilk mixture over.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the filling is just set.
- Let the tart cool completely.
- Sprink with powdered sugar just before serving.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
This crust is so simple!! Much easier than pie crust. I made it for friends so I didn't actually taste this, but they told me it was delicious. I found this recipe here after seeing all the rave reviews on epicurious. I can't wait to make this again for ourselves!