Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
These are a delicacy at my house.
Top Review by Ricearoni161
These were wonderful. I too used lemon since that's what I had and I think it goes better with blueberry. I added a few more berries since I wanted to use up the fresh ones I had on hand. The glaze on top really was good and so unexpected. The biscuits rose and were only slightly sweet so perfect for breakfast. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine egg and buttermilk; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface, and knead 4 or 5 times.
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine butter and remaining ingredients, stirring well; brush on warm biscuits.