Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 7 egg whites
- 1 3⁄4 cups white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 lemon, juice and rind
- 1 cup oil
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (plus)
- icing sugar (optional)
- water, for drizzle (optional)
- Beat egg whites till very stiff.
- Add sugar gradually.
- In a separate bowl, beat together egg yolks, oil, vanilla, lemon juice and grated rind.
- Gradually fold this mixture into the egg whites with a spatula.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and fold carefully into above mixture.
- Gently fold in blueberries and pour into a greased bundt pan that has been sprinkled with a few more blueberries.
- Bake at 325°F oven.
- Turn out onto a plate and drizzle a thin mixture of icing over top, letting it run down the sides.
I have not tried this yet, but if you roll the blueberries in flour before mixing in and blend in gently at the last, it may keep them from settling to the bottom. This works for other fruits.