Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This comes from William Granger. Posted for ZWT8-Australia/New Zealand.
Make and share this Blueberry Breakfast Scones recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar (superfine)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 1⁄2 ounces unsalted butter, chilled and cubed (7 Tblsp)
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked, plus 1 egg beaten with 1 Tblsp. milk, for glazing
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries or 1⁄2 cup frozen blueberries, tossed lightly in flour
- Preheat an oven to 400*.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Pulse the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a food processor, until fully combined. Add the butter and continue pulsing until it is roughly combined. There will still be lumps of butter. Tip the mixture into a bowl, and stir in the eggs and cream with a knife. Gently mix in the blueberries with your hands.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and press it into a 6 x 6-inch square. Cut the pastry into quarters, then halve each quarter. Place the scones onto the prepared baking tray and brush with the egg and milk glaze. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm with butter, if you like.
Awesome scones!!! The recipe was so easy, using the food processor to do all the work. This is a definite keeper and I will be making them often. I am either going to try adding another tablespoon of sugar to the batter OR lightly sprinkle a little sugar over the egg wash. Even though I don't like sweet scones, I thought this one could stand a teeny bit more for my taste. Love your recipe. Thank you! Made for ZWT8 Family Picks
One of the reasons that I love scones so much is that they are so quick to make. I made these to go with coffee this morning as I had big, beautiful bluberries on hand. I did replace the heavy cream with fat free coffee creamer for the rich taste without the fat. They baked up very nicely and were truly delicious still warm with that fresh coffee. :D