Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
This was a big hit for my family and it was absolutely delicious!
- 5 -5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopesrapid-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (dissolved in 3 tbsp water)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk (mix with egg yolk for "Egg Mixture")
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and cinnamon.
- Heat milk, orange juice, and butter until very warm (in microwave) and stir into dry ingredients.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of mixer.
- Add eggs and 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed.
- Stir in remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cover; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half, then divide each half into 3 pieces.
- Roll each to 20x6 inch rectangle.
- Spread filling evenly on each rectangle.
- Begin at long end and roll up like jelly roll.
- Pinch seams to form ropes.
- Braid; cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Brush with egg mixture and bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes.
- For blueberry filling: Combine first 3 ingredients in medium saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 20 minutes, stir, until very thick. Stir in cornstarch; cook 5 minutes, stir. Let cool.
I thoroughly enjoyed making these braids! Easy enough to do as long as I stay focused! I did use frozen berries since I always have them around to use in smoothies! Definitely a keeper! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]