Recipe by Rita~
Bread pudding dotted with blueberries has a soft center and a crunchy top. It's not to sweet so go ahead and top it with the easy caramel sauce.This is good for Breafast, Brunch or Dessert!
Top Review by TeacherLaLa
This was fabulous- we enjoyed this the day before Christmas. I didn't do the caramel sauce, since I served if for breakfast and wanted to watch my calories. I love to make this the night before and pop it in the oven for breakfast. Very filling and addictive.<br/><br/>Update- we make this at least 2 times a month for breakfast. It is so good with powdered sugar on top and/or maple syrup. My hubby and kids just love this breakfast. I like to use whole wheat French bread to make it even more filling. So great you make it the night before. What a fabulous great dish!
- 8 cups cubed day old bread
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, roughly chopped
- 1 cup prepared caramel topping
- 1 tablespoon whiskey, rum or favorite liquour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a butter 8 X 8 oven proof pan place 1/2 the bread cubes in pan place 1/2 the blueberries top remaining bread and then blueberries.
- Mix eggs, cream, milk, zest, cinnamon, extract, sugar and salt.
- Pour over bread pressing gentle to submerge bread then cover with plastic wrap and soak for one hour.
- Preheat oven 350.
- Remove wrap sprinkle brown sugar on top and dot with butter.
- Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Just before serving heat caramel and whiskey in a microwave proof dish.
- Dust pudding with powdered sugar and pour some sauce over pudding.