Recipe by Sweet PQ?
This blueberry loaf is made with whole wheat flour and yogurt for a healthier version.
Top Review by Annacia
With a few minor (to me anyway) I was very very pleased with this recipe. Because I'm diabetic I used a 1/3 cup non hydrogenated margarine for the butter, Splenda for the honey and added 1/4 cup of skim milk to replace the liquid and fat free yogurt along with 1/2 a cup of egg whites for the whole eggs. I love the way that it turned out :D. For it being made with whole wheat bread flour it has a very light texture in the inside and the crust has a flakiness that is very reminiscent of a good pie crust. The mild lemon is a classic with blueberries and it was a winner here. Made for Heart Healthy Tag--February 2010
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt, plain
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 walnuts, chopped (I use pecans)
- 1 cup blueberries (tossed with 2 tablespoons flour)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375*. Cream the butter and honey until smooth. Add eggs, beating well.
- Add the lemon zest, allspice and cinammon - mixing well.
- Add yogurt and mix.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Slowly beat into the egg mixture.
- Fold in the blueberries and nuts.
- Bake in a greased loaf pan @ 375* for 50-60 minutes.