Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I had just picked several pounds of blueberries and was anxious to try some new blueberry recipes when I was given an old cookbook from a local church. As I was reading through the cookbook I came across this bread recipe. This is delicious and so moist--you may want to eat it with a fork!
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1⁄3 cup chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, mix ingredients in order, mixing each ingredient as you add it.
- Pour batter into greased 9x5x3-inch pan with wax paper in the bottom.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Turn oven off and let stay in oven for 10 minutes. Freezes well.
- *Refrigeration recommended due to moistness of bread.
We really enjoyed this delicious blueberry bread. It is different than most blueberry breads I've had (maybe it was the nuts), but it was quick, easy, and moist. I didn't have sour milk, so I added 1 TBSP. lemon juice to a measuring cup and added milk to measure 1 cup. I stirred and let it stand for 5 minutes. I used lemon extract instead of the vanilla, and pecans for the nuts. Also, I added about 1-1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest to the batter because I think that lemon and blueberry go together so nicely. This was wonderful served warm and spread with butter. Thank you for sharing this great recipe. *Made for 2009 Spring PAC*
I've been making bread for 52 years and this is a definate keeper. I took another viewers advice and added lemon peel(zest) It turned out so great. I was concerned about the moisture comments, but it did turn out wonderful. Great breakfast bread. I had just made blueberry muffins I found on food.com, and threw them in the garbage. Thanks for posting this Hope more people find it. And you know those church cookbooks are usually put together by the best cooks.
Delicious yummy bread! Tastes like a giant blueberry muffin. I did cut the sugar down to 1 cup for personal preference. It is wonderful spread with cream cheese.