Mini treats with the flavor of fresh blueberries and loaded with fiber. A wonderful way to begin your morning! Adapted from a weight loss websites email newsletter. Prep Tip: Color, not size, tells you which blueberries are the ripest. Look for berries that are deep purple to blue-black. Serving Tip: Spread the warm halves of each muffin with a little mashed, ripe banana instead of butter.
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran or 1 1⁄2 cups oat bran, unprocessed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk or 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 medium banana, ripe and mashed with a fork
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly spray a nonstick miniature muffin pan with cooking oil spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine bran, flour, flaxseed, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and set this aside. In another medium bowl using a hand mixer or blender, combine the milk, honey, banana, egg, olive oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in one-third of the liquid mixture and stir until smooth. Slowly add remaining liquid mixture and stir until combined. Add blueberries and stir again, do not over mix.
- Carefully spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into each muffin cup. Bake approximately 8 minutes, or until the tops spring back when pressed gently, do not overbake. Place pan on a wire rack and cool 10 minutes before removing muffins from cups.